Often cleaning of blinds is one of those household chores that people tend to forget about. Window blinds collect dust and debris quite easily. When left neglected, they can become soiled with dust, pet fur and all the other skin cells and dander that float around the home.
There is nothing like waking up to a soft morning glow. With warm sunlight peeking through the blinds, you know you have a brilliant day ahead. Fortunately, cleaning blinds in New York isn’t that difficult of a task. With the help of following tips, you can keep your blinds freshly cleaned:
- As with most household items, dusting regularly will decrease the need for an annual hose down. Simply put a clean soft cloth over your hand and dip your covered fingertips into a bowl of vinegar. Swipe your hand across the top and bottom of each slat to reduce static cling and minimize the mess.
- If your blinds have just a thin layer of dust, a feather duster will be sufficient enough to clean them. Just open the blinds and run a feather duster between each blind in order to pick up the dust on both sides.
- If you are looking for a method that will let you clean in hard-to-reach corners, find an old sock or glove and put it in your hand. Spray Windex on a section of the blinds and run your covered hand along it to pick up the dust. Repeat this on every blind. Windex is safe to use on most blinds, but if you’d prefer a natural substance, use a solution of half water, half vinegar.
- Blinds with layers of neglect require a little more elbow grease than a simple wipe down. Wooden, fabric, and other types of blinds need to be handled more carefully than other materials.
- Leave the blinds in the open position and run the duster along them from top to bottom. Make sure to work from the top so that any dust that falls while cleaning blinds will be removed as you make your way to the lowest level. After you have dusted all the way down, use the vacuum cleaner attachment to clean any dust that has fallen.
- Get two “S” hooks and hang them on the inside of your shower curtain rod. Make sure the shower curtain is pulled to one side. Now detach the set of blinds from above the window and bring them into the bathroom. Hang the blinds on the bottom of the “S” hooks by looping them through the thin metal rod at the top of the blinds. Make sure it is secure. Turn on the faucet and allow the water to grow warm. Squirt some soap on a soft scrub brush and wet it in the water. Scrub the blinds thoroughly.