Moving house is renowned for being extremely stressful and frightfully expensive. There are a significant number of factors to consider when calculating the cost of a removal, including area, the day of the week, the bulk of your possessions and the size of your new home to name a few. Yet there are several ways to limit the staggering costs of moving, particularly when you’re on a budget. It’s important to know that you don’t necessarily have to spend a fortune when relocating all your furnishings and belongings. Check out the list below for some helpful hints at making moving somewhat cheaper and consequently perhaps a little less stressful!
• A friend in need is a friend indeed! Before unnecessarily splashing out on a fancy and expensive removal company, why not first seek the help of your family and friends? Ask anyone you know who has a van if they would be willing to help you move your furniture and boxes to your new location.
• DIY – hire your own van! Sometimes it’s worth hiring your own van when moving house. If you haven’t got too much furniture and won’t need to do more than a couple of runs (don’t forget to consider petrol costs and insurance), it could be financially beneficial to rent a van and get a helping hand from neighbours and friends. Always be sure to consider health and safety when handling heavy and bulky items – perhaps hire someone to do the heavy lifting?
• Choose the removal company Chiswick! With so many removal companies out there, it can be hard to know which one to choose from and often easier to select the first movers you come across. Be patient and be thorough! Make sure to call a few companies and get quotes from at least three. Also take the time to first calculate the bulk of your belongings and the van size you will need.
• Get good advice! Word of mouth can often be the most reliable source of information. Ask friends or people at work if they have moved recently and if they were happy with the removal company they chose. Why not also go online and check out the feedback and comments posted by customers on removal companies’ websites.
• Hire a man with a van! There are many people out there with vans that will be happy to help move furniture, for a lower cost than a removal company. Remember however that a man with a van may not always provide as reliable a service as an actual removal company. The latter will definitely provide the safest way to move your possessions.
• Not over the weekend! When hiring a removal company avoid moving on a Friday or Saturday, as prices can be higher than on other weekdays!
• Do your own packing! To avoid the added cost of packing by removal companies, get hold of your own boxes and start packing your belongings. That should bring down the quote by moving firms and also means you’ll be ready to go on the day of the move.